California School for the Deaf, 39350 Gallaudet Drive.
“Bear Hunt” sculpture by Douglas Tilden (1860-1908) dated 1892. Privately owned.
Deaf since the age of four, Douglas Tilden attended California School for the Deaf when it was called the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Asylum and was located in San Francisco. Mr. Tilden was the first California-born sculptor to receive recognition outside the U.S. During his six years in Paris, the art salons accepted five of his works of art. Four of Mr. Tilden’s pieces were exhibited at the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893.
Another piece by Tilden is “The Mechanics” at Market, Bush, and Battery Streets in San Francisco, which was refurbished in 2001.
More information about the artist may be found on Wikipedia.