Berge-Pappas-Smith Chapel of the Angels, 40842 Fremont Blvd.
"St. Francis of Assisi" by Beniamino B. Bufano, is an original sculpture in crushed granite.
"Benny" Bufano was born in Italy in 1898 and the family emigrated from Italy to New York when "Benny" was three years old. Bufano came to San Francisco to work on a sculpture for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. Later, Bufano taught at the San Francisco Institute of Art, at UC-Berkeley, and at the California College of Arts & Crafts in Oakland. Although Bufano was only five feet tall, his work was often monumental in scale. Bufano remained in San Francisco until his death in 1970.
This sculpture represents St. Francis of Assisi (1181-1226), who founded the Franciscan order of the Roman Catholic Church. He became known for his love of animals and is the patron saint of the City of San Francisco. Privately owned.
Other Bufano works to be found in Fremont are "Penguins" and "Bear and Cubs," both located at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center.