VITA & Additional Services Provided on Site
SparkPoint Fremont provides free Tax Preparation Services, called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA), CalFresh Assistance, Peer Lending Circles (small loans that build credit), and a Food Pantry.
VITA – FREE TAX PREPARATION SERVICE
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is sponsored by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and United Way Bay Area Earn It! Keep It! Save it! Coalition. SparkPoint Fremont provides free tax return preparation for qualified individuals and families with an annual household income of $55,000 or less. Federal and State Tax returns are prepared and e-filed by IRS certified VITA volunteer tax preparers from January 22 - April 15, 2020. For more details, see the flyer in English, Spanish or Chinese.
If you are interested in volunteering for VITA, please call 510-574-2003 for more details.
SparkPoint Fremont can help you apply for CalFresh nutrition assistance (formerly known as Food Stamps). CalFresh is a federal nutrition program to ensure every household has enough food to eat. Eligible low-income residents receive a plastic EBT card, similar to a bank debit card, which can be used to buy food at most grocery stores. Call us at 510-574-2020 today to see if you qualify.
- CalFresh Assistance - English
- CalFresh Assistance - Spanish
- Students meeting basic eligibility and student requirements can apply for CalFresh Assistance - Student, to purchase food.
PEER LENDING CIRCLES (Small Loans that Build Credit)
In partnership with Mission Asset Fund, SparkPoint Fremont provides Peer Lending Circles, a safe way to establish a credit history and improve your credit score. Known across the world as tandas, susus, or cundinas, etc., Peer Lending Circles have built on these loans between friends and family to create a 0% interest loan that can be used for any purpose.
- Lending Circles are formed between 6-12 people, with a loan payment as low as $50.00 a month
- Loan payments are made via monthly automatic debits.
- Each month, a new member of the Lending Circle receives the loan until everyone in the group gets their chance.
- Monthly loan payments are reported to all three credit bureaus.
The next Peer Lending Circle has not been scheduled. For more information or to be put on our interest list, call 510-574-2026 and provide your first and last name and phone number.
In partnership with Tri-City Volunteers, SparkPoint provides a Mobile Food Pantry twice a month at the Fremont Family Resource Center, located at 39155 Liberty Street in Fremont, Ca.
Please remember to bring your own bags.
- Every 1st and 3rd Wednesday
- 10:30 am - 11:30 am
- Millennium Room (A120)