Youth Service Corps - SUMMER 2019
This a program that is available for teens entering the 7th grade up through the 12th grade. It runs from the last week in June through the first week in August. The program is being divided into two 3-week programs. The number of volunteer hours average 20 hours per week. In addition, there are a variety of fun team building activities offered in the afternoon.
The program runs Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 3:00pm. There are 4 hours of community service per work day and 2.5 hours for lunch plus afternoon team building activities. Volunteers may stay for the entire day (until 3pm) or may leave at 12:30pm (with prior parent permission). Volunteers arrive and depart at the Central Park Performance Pavilion every day.
In this unique experience, teens work together (with one lead staff/counselor per work team) to complete community work projects throughout the City. Projects include: weed abatement, minor park equipment repair, painting, landscaping, litter pickup at any of the City's 52 parks, and much more. In addition to the volunteer work, teens participate in outdoor activities that further build on the principles of team work and leadership.
The afternoon activities center around a weekly theme. Themes include: YSC Olympics, The Amazing Race, Star Wars, Science Week, and Teen Trivia! In addition to all the community service and afternoon fun & laughs, the City hosts a "Summer Volunteer Party" at the City of Fremont Aqua Adventure Waterpark (date TBA). All YSC participants are welcome to attend at no cost.
- The 2015 Youth Service Corps celebrated its 50th anniversary! The program enrolled over 200 teens over the summer and completed more than 12,000 hours of community service.
- 2019's YSC will be the 54th year of the program's existence in the City of Fremont. The program is rich in tradition and prides itself in instilling a good work ethic often missed in today's youth.
- There is a balance of work and fun recreational activities each day.
- Youth/teens learn the principles of project management, work ethic, team work, and civic engagement.
- Volunteers receive a t-shirt, service hours and confirmation letter, an Aqua Adventure Waterpark field trip each session, and the Presidential Volunteer Service Award (volunteer must let the YSC Director know if they're interested in receiving the award). For information and award requirements, please visit the PVSA website.
Program Sessions 2019 (register by clicking the link(s) below)
Session 1 Schedule: June 24-July 12, 2019; 8:30am-3pm
YSC Session 1 (ages 12-14): Barcode #270590
YSC Session 1 (ages 15-17): Barcode #270585
Session 2 Schedule: July 22-August 9, 2019; 8:30am-3pm
YSC Session 2 (ages 12-14): Barcode #270591
YSC Session 2 (ages 15-17): Barcode #270586