- Answer building code and inspection requirement questions
- Finalize permits
- Perform building inspections to assure compliance with the approved plans
- Conduct special investigations on in-progress work being done without building permits
Development Services Center Open for Business
To help construction projects move forward in Fremont and provide an alternative to online services, the City’s Development Services Center is open to the public; however, staffing is limited.
To enter the Development Services Center, all visitors are required to fill out a COVID-19 Screening Form. If you plan to visit the Center, please fill out this form before you enter the building. This requirement is part of the City's efforts to implement safety protocols that help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Online Permits Using Citizen Access
The City is accepting online payments for permit fees through Citizen Access. Payments can be submitted for planning permits, building/fire permits, and engineering permits. For more information, please read this City news article.
Online Payments for Permits Using Citizen Access
Citizen Access FAQsView the Citizen Access FAQs to learn all about Citizen Access, the City's public permit portal, including how to submit a new permit request, resubmit plans/documents, link different records into one account, pay permit fees, etc.
Building Inspection Services
To align with the revised Alameda County Shelter in Place Order, the City is expanding building inspection services for construction projects that comply with the Order and follow the Construction Project Safety Protocols included in the Order. Building inspections are available for all projects. Inspections can be scheduled online through the City’s Accela Citizen Access portal or by phone at 510-494-4885.
Protocol for COVID-19 Positive Case at Construction Site
The City's Building Official has set up this safety protocol for construction sites in Fremont that experience a positive COVID-19 case.
Remote Video Building Inspections
The City is now offering remote video building inspections for the following single family residential projects: reroofs, water heater replacements, air conditioning upgrades, and furnace replacements. Inspections are performed using the FaceTime (iOS) or Google Duo (Android) app. For more information, please visit the Video Inspections webpage or contact Building Inspection at 510-494-4400 or by email.
- Request a building inspection by calling 510-494-4885.
- Request a commercial AFES, fire alarm, or fire code inspection by email or call 510-494-4428.
- Have your permit number available when you request an inspection.
- Inspection requests can be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week using the automated line.
- Please note that the cut off time for next day inspections is 3 p.m. the business day prior to the date.
Anyone who is listed as a contact person on the permit/record can schedule a building inspection online through Citizen Access. To add persons to a record so they can schedule an inspection online, an authorization form needs to be completed by the applicant. To learn more on how to do this, visit our Citizen Access User Guide.
Inspection Area Assignments
Find out which inspector is assigned to your area.
Always remember to ask for City identification if someone comes to your door claiming to be a Building Inspector or any other city employee.
- Recognized Special Inspection Testing Agencies
- Residential Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector Requirements
- Typical Inspection Examples
Tell Us How We Are Doing!
We are continually trying to improve our services. If you obtained a permit within the last year, please take a moment to complete our quick online survey. Thank you!