Composting and Food Scraps
Green Organics Cart
By participating in the food scrap composting program, your food scraps become a valuable resource, not a waste. Place food scraps and food-soiled paper in the green organics cart alone, or with leaves and grass.
How do I collect Food Scraps to put in the Green Organics Cart?
- Use a container that can be composted.
- Line your kitchen pail with a paper bag, newspaper, or compostable liner to help keep it clean.
- Scrape your food scraps from the plates into your lined kitchen pail, instead of the garbage can.
- Empty the kitchen pail and liner into your green organics cart.
- To get a new kitchen pail contact Republic Services at (510) 657-3500.
What items can I put in the Green Organic Cart?
Simply throw the pizza box (with any uneaten pizza) into the green organics cart.
- Food scraps, raw or cooked
- Coffee grinds and tea bags
- Food-soiled paper napkins, paper towels, paper plates and cups
To help you remember to add food scraps to your green cart, free stickers are available to place on your green organics cart. To receive a free sticker contact the City of Fremont, Environmental Services Division at
(510) 494-4570 or email