Establishing the City
The Fremont area was first settled with the establishment of the Mission San Jose by the Spanish. In the mid-1840s, John C. Fremont mapped a trail through Mission Pass to provide access for American settlers into the southeastern San Francisco Bay Area. In 1853, Washington Township was established, taking in the communities of Mission San Jose, Centerville, Niles, Irvington, and Warm Springs. On January 23, 1956, these communities incorporated (joined together) to form the City of Fremont.