Special Events Permit
*Do I need a Special Event Permit?
A Special Event Permit is needed when:
- An organized activity on private property requires a 1) temporary ABC license; 2) tent permit; 3) canopy permit; 4) stage permit; 5) uses vendors in the event; or 6) falls outside the generally intended use of the property (e.g. walking on the street, carnival in a parking lot, food truck event at a school, etc.)
- An organized activity involves the use of, or having impact on, public property, public facilities, sidewalks, medians, or street areas.
If you plan to hold your event in a City park, please contact Damon Sparacino at (510) 790-5546 in the City of Fremont’s Community Services Department.
*What types of Special Event Permits are there?
5 classes of permits:
*When is the Special Event Permit application due?
- Class I - Neighborhood Block Party
Class I (2 consecutive days or less, fewer than 500 people, no City services)
Class II (2 consecutive days or less, fewer than 500 people, City services required)
Class III (2 consecutive days or less, 500 people or more, no City services)
Class IV (2 consecutive days or less, 500 people or more, City services required)
Class V (2 non-consecutive days or more and/or more than 1 time in a calendar year; series)
- Events that require either a 1) temporary ABC license; 2) a tent permit; 3) a streetlight banner permit; or 4) anticipates attendance of fewer than 500 people, must submit a completed permit application no later than 30 calendar days before the actual event date. Examples of these events include: Little League™ parades, crab feeds, block parties, and/or events with fewer than 500 people.
- Events that require either 1) road or sidewalk closure(s); 2) anticipated attendance of 500 people or more; or 3) is a recurring event, must submit a completed permit application no later than 90 calendar days before the actual event date. Examples of these events include: Parades, street festivals/fairs, food truck event and/or events with more than 500 people.
- Late fees are $5-$10/busines day. Please see due date chart in order to avoid late fees.
*It is suggested that all new events, regardless of the impact, be submitted an additional 30-60 days prior to the event application deadline.
*How much does it cost to submit a Special Event Permit application?
Please see the section on "Fees".
*Who can I call for additional information
For more information, contact Barbara Yee-Charlson
at (510) 494-4561 or Maya Williams
at (510) 790-6967.
This permit information can change at any time. Please contact the Development Services Center
for the most current information.