Every community deserves to have a central Downtown place where people come to connect, communicate, and celebrate. Downtown is the social heartbeat of a community where social and economic exchanges take place, celebrations are held, friends run into each other, and cultures mix.
Want to see how a Downtown gets built?
Check out our newest video chronicling the completion of Downtown's main street, "Capitol Avenue - Connect, Communicate and Celebrate," and then see how it all started with "Capitol Avenue - Building the Backbone of Downtown Fremont!"
Arts/Culture and Events in Downtown Fremont
- Fremont Street Eats - Check out Fremont Street Eats on Capitol Avenue at Fremont Boulevard weekly every Friday from May 5 through October 27. Enjoy our newly built section of Capitol Avenue, the backbone of Downtown Fremont. Produced by the Fremont Chamber of Commerce and Food Truck Mafia, this event hosts multiple food trucks offering a diverse mix of culinary treats.
- - Featuring delicious brews and tasty foods, the Fremont Burger and Brew Fest will be held on May 27 from 11 a.m.-6 p.m. on Capitol Avenue between Paseo Padre Parkway and Liberty Street. As one of the Bay Area’s newest and delicious events, Bay Area craft breweries, an assortment of wines, burgers and sliders from local food vendors and restaurants and live entertainment are featured.
- - Stop by annually to watch the star spangled excitement of creative floats, specialty units, marching musical units and guest celebrities!
- - The Fremont Festival of the Arts will celebrate 34 years of fun in the sun! It is the largest free street festival west of the Mississippi River. It will be held August 2-3.
- Festival of India and Parade - The Festival of India and Parade will be celebrating 25 years! The Festival of India and Parade will be held August 12-13.
- Downtown Date Night - The City of Fremont, Fremont Chamber of Commerce, and Food Truck Mafia team up to bring Downtown Date Night to Capitol Avenue. Stroll through Fremont Street Eats, complete with gourmet food trucks and an outdoor movie on the big screen. Save the Date for September 22.
- Trick or Treat on Downtown Safety Street - A "spirited" Halloween event for adults and children alike! Join in on the festivities with Fremont Street Eats and the City's Recreation Services Division and enjoy this "spooktacular" event on October 20.
Public Art in the Downtown
Photo by Richard Deutsch
Turning Point consists of several inviting granite seating groups and three large-scale stainless steel sculptural elements that combine to create a welcoming environment, and provide the plaza with a unique sense of place. The artist, Richard Deutsch, worked closely with the Paragon developer and city planners to develop a vision for the plaza in keeping with the modern, urban future of Fremont while at the same time referencing the several ethnic groups that compose the community today.
Downtown Fremont Rotational Public Art ProgramThe Downtown Fremont Rotational Public Art program is intended to contribute to the vitality of the Downtown by displaying exciting artwork for a two (2) year rotating basis and will launch with a new temporary installation in Spring 2017. Stay tuned!
Want to Learn More about the Downtown?
Where is the Downtown located?
Downtown is 110-acres anchored by Fremont City Hall and within walking distance to the Fremont BART Station. It is located north of Fremont Boulevard, south of Paseo Padre Parkway, west of Mowry Avenue, and east of Walnut Avenue. View the map.
How are we working to enhance the Downtown?
The Downtown Community Plan is the blueprint that will guide our work. This provides the development community with the direction and certainty that they need to invest in our community while preserving the goals and vision the community has for the Downtown.
Check out our slideshow to get a flavor of what we envision for the Downtown.
Or view a 360 degree 3D projection of the State Street and Capitol Avenue intersection, featuring our new Civic Center and mixed use retail.
- Downtown Fremont-On the Rise Brochure
- Downtown Community Plan (Formerly Midtown Plan) (10 MB)
- Supplemental EIR for the Downtown
Meet our Team
The City's Urban Initiatives Manager collaborates with key City staff, and external partners such as service clubs, the Fremont Chamber of Commerce, neighborhood organizations, arts and cultural organizations, and educational institutions to help the Downtown continue to thrive.
- Sign up to receive notifications about the Downtown District.
- Connect with us: Facebook and Twitter
- Or, contact our staff:
Urban Initiatives Manager
City of Fremont
City of Fremont
City of Fremont