BART Way & Gateway Plaza Multi Modal Improvements
General Project Description
The City of Fremont project consists of providing bicycle and pedestrian improvements on BART Way from the BART station to Civic Center Drive and on Gateway Plaza. The project will:
- Reconstruct the existing sidewalks with wider colored concrete sidewalks;
- Install decorative street and pedestrian lights;
- Provide concrete curb, gutter and sidewalk on both sides of the road including upgrading curb ramps at intersections;
- Improve the Civic Center Drive intersection by providing bulb outs and a new traffic signal;
- Rehabilitate the existing asphalt pavement by repairing base failure areas and then grinding and overlaying the existing pavement with minimum 2 inches of hot mix asphalt (HMA) .
- Provide new signing and striping and pavement markings.
- Install green bike lanes on BART Way
- Construct additions to the storm drain system including laterals, inlets and tree well filters.
Schedule of Construction
Construction activities are expected to start in Summer 2016 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2016.
Washington Hospital has plans for improvements on-site and along Civic Center Drive. BART also has plans for improvements to their parking lot at the BART Station. These projects may be under construction concurrently with the City’s project.
A minimum of one traffic lane in each direction will be kept open at all times to the extent possible. In general, most of the work will take place Monday through Friday between the hours or 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
The project is scheduled to open bids on April 26, 2016. The DBE contract goal is 7%. DBE contractors are encouraged to participate in the bid process.
If you have any questions regarding the project, please contact:
How to receive project updates by email