Updated Zoning Regulations and Design Guidelines for Single-Family Homes
On February 21, 2017, in response to concerns from community members, Fremont's City Council directed staff to evaluate potential methods to address ongoing challenges relating to oversized second-story home additions and the redevelopment of older homes with new homes that are out of scale and character with the neighborhood. Previously, City Council also requested an analysis of potential solar shading impacts from new development, expressing an interest in preserving solar access to achieve the City's sustainability goals. Additionally, the City's General Plan contains community character policies and implementation programs that guide this project.
On November 7, 2017, after months of public engagement, two Planning Commission public hearings, and three City Council public hearings, the City Council adopted several new zoning standards, design rules, and design guidelines. These new standards, rules, and guidelines (summarized and then linked below) apply to all projects received on or after December 7, 2017.
New Zoning Standards
- Limitations on finished floor levels
- Requirements for roof pitch
- Potential requirement for solar setbacks
- Limitations on use of the side yard setback exception
New Design Rules and Guidelines
- Requirements for addressing neighborhood context and neighborhood design compatibility
- Requirements for identifying privacy sensitive areas and implementing design solutions that mitigate potential impacts (including enhanced landscaping requirements for screening)
- Further design rules and requirements for second story additions and two-story homes
New Standards, Rules, and Guidelines
(Effective for new applications received on or after December 7, 2017)
- New Zoning Standards for R-1 Zoned Neighborhoods
- New Solar Access Preservation Ordinance
- New Design Rules and Design Guidelines
- Submittal Requirements for New Two Story Homes and Second Story Additions
Development Standards Update for Two-Story Homes
(Effective for new applications received on or after November 1, 2018)
On September 11, 2018, the Fremont City Council voted to introduce an ordinance establishing updated development standards for two-story homes and second-story additions in the R-1 and R-2 (Single-family and Two-Family) zoning districts. The Council conducted a second reading of the ordinance at their October 2, 2018 meeting and adopted the ordinance. As such, the updated standards will become effective on November 1, 2018.
Any design review application submitted after November 1, 2018 will be subject to the revised code requirements, which limit the allowable floor area for two-story homes and second-story additions.
For more information, please contact Kristie Wheeler, Planning Manager, by email.
To get started on your new addition, check out our Residential Projects webpage to find everything you need. Find out which City departments to contact and what fees are associated with residential projects. You can also find project handouts that will list everything you need to do to obtain a City permit and complete your project.