Tobacco Retail License
On October 8, 2019, the Fremont City Council voted unanimously to establish a Tobacco Retail License program, joining over 150 California municipalities with similar programs.
The City of Fremont Tobacco Retail License program has the following requirements:
- Any retailer who sells tobacco products needs to acquire an annual Tobacco Retail License from the City of Fremont.
- Flavored tobacco products are banned. These products can include, but are not limited to, flavored: cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, little cigars, Swishers, chewing tobacco, pipe tobacco, snuff, hookah, e-cigarette cartridges, e-juice, JUUL pods, and other flavored components for vaporizers.
- Cigarettes must be sold in packs of 20, at a minimum price of $8.
- Cigars (this includes cigarillos/little cigars) must be sold in packs of 5, at a minimum price of $8.
- Single cigars already sold at $5 are permitted.
The City sent letters to all state-licensed tobacco retailers in Fremont notifying them of the changes. Also, workshops for retailers were conducted in November 2019.
The license application system is now live and ready to accept applications. Apply now.
Read the Tobacco Retail License Ordinance.
Interim Code Enforcement Manager