Need a permit for your next construction, home upgrade, or development project?
Visit Fremont.gov/CitizenAccess, the City's online permitting portal, to request the following permits:
- Building Permits including Fire Permits and Solar Permits
- Residential Express Building Permits that are automatically issued for simple home upgrades
- Planning Permits
- Engineering Permits
Don't know which permit you need for your project?
Visit Fremont.gov/CitizenAccessRecordTypes for a description of each type of permit.
Ready to apply for your permit?
- Create a Citizen Access account at Fremont.gov/CitizenAccess. For help or questions, view the Citizen Access User Guide, view FAQs, or contact City staff by email.
- Log in to your account.
- Select “Apply for a Permit" and the type of permit you need (Building, Planning, or Engineering). For help determining what permit/record type to select based on your project, visit Fremont.gov/CitizenAccessRecordTypes.
- Complete the online form. Use the directions to understand what is required for each section. If any steps or required information are missing, error messages will pop up at the top of the screen to inform you of what needs to fixed.
- Address Tip: Use the "Address" search to query the City's parcel database to fill out the address, parcel, and owner information, which are all required fields. To do this successfully, enter the street number and the partial street name with the wildcard % (e.g., 39550 Lib%), then select "Search." If only one address is available, it will populate the address, parcel number, and owner. If multiple addresses are available, select the correct address for your project. If the parcel number or owner has recently changed, leave them as is so you can submit the request. Then, inform City permitting staff that these items need to be corrected. Staff can do this in the backend of the system.
- Upload the required plans/documents. Each permit/record type requires different documentation to be submitted. Make sure to read the Project Summary page of the record for the required documents.
- Continue the form to the payment screens. Online payments are currently limited to $5,000. If your project requires a larger initial payment than this, you will be emailed an invoice and provided directions on where to mail or drop off the payment. If your payment is less than $5,000 and you would like to pay online, make the payment. Only Mastercard and Visa are accepted. If you would like to make the payment in person, you can do so at the Cashier counter at the Development Services Center when it is open to the public. Depending on the type of record, there may be more than one-time fees.
- Once a payment is made, an on-screen confirmation will verify that the submittal was successful. A receipt will be issued by email.
- After your permit request is successfully submitted, you will see the new record number in your Citizen Access account under “My Records.” The new request will be reviewed by staff to determine if enough information has been provided/uploaded to route it for review. If necessary information is missing to enable routing of the request for plan review, you will be contacted via email with a list of information that is necessary in order to initiate the review. If you applied for a Residential Express Permit, it will automatically be issued.