The Community Services Department is comprised for four divisions: Environmental Services, Landscape Architecture, Parks Maintenance, & Recreation Services. Together, these divisions strive to improve the health, wellness and quality of life for Fremont residents by offering a wide variety of:
- Exceptional educational and recreational programs and services to people of all ages, such as sports leagues, kids’ camps and after-school programs, and recreational classes.
- Historic and cultural resources, such as the Shinn House and Arboretum, the Vallejo Adobe within the California Nursery Historical Park, and the Galindo-Higuera Adobe at Rancho Higuera Historical Park
- Facilities, including three program centers in Central Park, five community centers, group picnic areas and the Olive Hyde Art GalleryUnique attractions, such as Lake Elizabeth, the Aqua Adventure Waterpark, Central Park Skate Park and the Palms Pavilion Group Picnic Area.
- Special events throughout the year, such as the Kids ‘n’ Kites Festival, the Summer Movie and Concert Series, Patterson House events, and Trick or Treat on Downtown Safety Street
- Amazing parks, with over 1200 acres throughout 62 parks.
The Environmental Services Division administers more than 30 garbage, recycling, and stormwater programs for Fremont residents and businesses. Committed to sustainability, the Environmental Services Division ensures the safe and responsible processing of construction and demolition debris; business and residential recycling, composting, and garbage; and stormwater permits for construction projects.
The Landscape Architecture Division (Parks Planning and Design) is responsible for several components of the Parks system, including the planning of the overall Parks system, the analysis of potential land acquisitions, and implementation of Park Capital Improvement Projects (CIP). Implementation of the CIP includes the design, construction documentation, and construction oversight of park land. The Landscape Architecture Division also includes Urban Forestry, which is responsible for the administration of the Tree Beautification Program.
The Park Maintenance Division strives to provide safe, healthy, and attractive green spaces for the enjoyment of Fremont’s residents. The Park Maintenance Division is responsible for planning, organizing, and coordinating the maintenance of Fremont’s parks, median landscapes, City properties, and the City’s Lighting and Landscape Maintenance District 88 (LLMD) through its City staff and contractors.
The Recreation Services Division offers a broad range of services, activities and programs for all ages and interests. Recreation programs include kid camps, academic classes, sports activities and leagues, art, music, dance, and cooking classes to name a few. The Recreation Division also puts on a number of popular community events, such as the Kids ‘n’ Kites Festival, Outdoor Movie and Summer Concert Series at Central Park, and Trick or Treat on Downtown Safety Street. The Recreation team also manages all park facilities and rentals including Aqua Adventure Waterpark, community centers, sports facilities and picnic areas.