Inspiration Statement: Before 1920, the geographic area that would later become Fremont was made up of small towns. The small towns were built to support the farms and dairies that surrounded them from the 1870s to about 1920. Washington Township, as the area was then known, was the political entity that included today’s Tri-City Area. This included the towns of Decoto, Alvarado, Newark, Niles, Centerville, Irvington, Mission San Jose, and Warm Springs. Five of those eight towns became Fremont.