Register a Business
Steps to RegisterIn order to register your business, please follow these steps:
- Check to see if you qualify for a Business Tax Exemption
- If you do not qualify for an exemption, you will be required to complete a Business Tax Application Form and submit it with payment to the City of Fremont Revenue Division, 39550 Liberty Street, P.O. Box 5006, Fremont, CA 94537-5006
- If you will be registering the business using a name other than your legal name, you will need to register that name with the County of Alameda, County Clerk, at 1106 Madison Street, Oakland, CA 94607; contact the County Clerk's Office at 510-272-6362
- If your business will sell a product, you may be required to have a Seller's Permit; contact the State Board of Equalization at 1515 Clay Street, Suite 303, Oakland, CA, at 510-622-4100, or at 800-432-7115 to find out if you need a Seller's Permit
- If you will be doing business in Fremont from a location outside of the City limits, you will need to complete a Business Tax Application.
- If you will be running a business from a residence, you will need to complete the Home Occupation Permit
- Certain businesses may require additional permits and may incur different tax rates; contact the Revenue Division at 510-494-4790, ext 2 for more information
- Registration tax is due at the time you start your business; the tax is $30 for commercial and home-based businesses, except licensed contractors who pay $125 for a one year business tax certificate. A $4 State Mandated fee will need to be included in the total registration fee.
- You are required to renew your Business Tax yearly
Business Tax ApplicationsBusiness Tax Applications are available online, or at the Revenue Division Cashier Window in the Development Services Center. Further information on the City of Fremont Business Tax can be found in the Fremont Municipal Code.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Revenue Division during our business hours: Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (excluding City of Fremont Holidays).
Phone: (510) 494-4790
Fax: (510) 494-4754