Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing
An electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permit is required for most work.
- An electrical permit is required for any change to a wiring system.
- A mechanical permit is required to replace a furnace or add an air conditioning system, but not to make repairs to existing equipment.
- A plumbing permit is required for any new plumbing work or for replacing a water heater.
Why do I need these Permits?
California Code and the City of Fremont regulates construction to ensure that it is safe and code compliant. City staff provide inspections for permitted work to verify compliance with the appropriate code.
In addition, permits and inspectors help to safeguard persons and property from hazards that may arise from improper installation. Examples of the benefits of pulling a permit include:
- Electricity is dangerous and needs to be installed per the national electrical code; our inspectors will ensure this.
- Inspections help prevent shock hazards that can lead to injuries and death
- Inspections help prevent electrical fires that can destroy your home or business due to faulty wiring.
- Inspections help avoid electrical short circuiting in appliances at your home or business which could cause damage to the appliance
- Visit the 2016 Title 24 Residential Lighting Guide for more information.
- Improper venting of an appliance may cause exhaust gases from a fuel burning appliance to enter occupied areas. Your inspector can help prevent this.
- Inspections ensure that drainage fittings, water piping, gas piping, and water heaters are all installed properly.
- For a water heater, earthquake straps are inspected because they prevent structural damage and the gas pipe from rupturing during an earthquake.
Where can I get these permits?
You can obtain a permit at the Development Services Center, 39550 Liberty Street, Fremont CA 94538.