Sign Permit

Why do I need this permit?
A permit is required for most permanent, temporary, and promotional signs in the City of Fremont to ensure that the size, color, and location of the sign comply with the City's Zoning Ordinance. The construction and method of attachment of permanent signs must comply with the applicable building codes, Title 24 compliance and an electrical permit is required for illuminated signs. Freestanding temporary signs are not allowed, except for certain real estate signs (handled separately). Temporary signs must be renewed yearly.

For more information, call the Zoning Information line at 510-494-4455 or the Plans and Permits line at 510-494-4460, or view the following information: How much does it cost?
Contact the Plans & Permits Division at 510-494-4460 for sign permit fees.

What do I do once I get this permit?
For painted signs, usually a final inspection is required after the work is complete (an exception would be if the sign is freestanding and a footing or foundation inspection is needed).

During the final inspection, all issued sign tags should be attached.

The applicant should also make approved plans with the permit available and provide access to the work. It may be necessary to provide a ladder or other means of access if the sign cannot be inspected from the ground.

This permit information can change at any time. Please contact the Development Services Center for the most current information.