Encroachment Permit

Why do I need this permit?

An Encroachment Permit is generally required to ensure that any work that occurs on public streets and sidewalks is performed according to current construction standards.

Encroachment Permit Applications may be submitted at:

Online at Accela Citizen Access OR

In person at:
Development Services Center, Engineering Division
39550 Liberty St.
Second Floor
Fremont, CA 94538
Before arriving in person, please check the Community Development website for center open hours. 

Who can I contact if I have questions?

Please contact the Engineering Division at Engineering@fremont.gov for more information.

Encroachment Permit Submittal Checklists


What do I do once I get this permit?

Once an encroachment permit is issued:
  • If your work involves digging, call USA Underground Alert at (800) 227-2600, two working days prior to the start to the start of work
  • Notify the inspector of your project at least one working day prior to commencement and upon completion of work
    • The inspector's name and telephone number is located at the bottom of the permit
    • Call the Engineering Division at (510) 494-4700 between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm with any questions.

Issuance of an Encroachment Permit does not relieve the permittee of the responsibility to obtain permits that may be required by other agencies.