Discover Fremont's filming opportunities! Located within Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay Area, Fremont offers a variety of locations:
- Historical districts
- High-tech industries
- Picturesque lake
- Numerous parks
- It is not lawful to conduct film activity within the City of Fremont without obtaining a film permit (exceptions to the City's Ordinance shown below)
- Film permit application must be submitted at least 15 business days in advance of the first day of filming for major productions and 10 business days for small productions.
- A complete Film Permit Application packet includes the following:
- Film Permit Application
- Complete and signed Indemnity and Hold Harmless Form.
- Complete Insurance Certificate ($1,000,000 General Liability insurance naming the "City of Fremont, 3300 Capitol Ave., Fremont, CA 94538" as additional insured).
- Additional Insured Endorsement. Note that the "Additional Insured Endorsement" page is separate and in addition to the "Complete Insurance Certificate." The page must name the City of Fremont, 3300 Capitol Ave., Fremont, CA 94538 as additional insured.
- Applicant must obtain and provide a copy of the owner's written permission and/or lease for filming private property not owned by the City of Fremont.
- If filming takes place at a private residence or a business, a notification must be sent to the immediate/adjacent neighbors regarding the filming activity, except when the residence or business has no immediate neighbors within the same block. The date and copy of the notification must be provided as part of the application.
- No Application Fee
- City sidewalk - free unless city services required.
- City Parks - still photography $200/day, video $400/day.
- Additional fees and charges may be required for filming on City property, such as on City Plazas, use of City equipment, Patterson House at Ardenwood Historic farm and for City Staff.
Film Permit Exemptions
If your film activity includes one of the following, a permit is not required:
- Film activities conducted for the purpose of reporting on persons, events or scenes which are in the news for newspapers, television news and other news media
- Film activities conducted at a Fremont film studio, where film activities are the sole purpose of the establishment
- Filming activities for use in a criminal investigation or civil or criminal court proceeding
- Non-commercial filming activities conducted on private property solely for private or family use
- Commercial still photography, or staging thereof, when conducted to the exclusion of other filming activity when the photography will not take place on City property and will not require the parking of more than two motor vehicles on any public street within the City of Fremont
Submit Film PermitTo submit an Film Permit Application, please either 1) fill out an application, print and return it to:
Fremont Police Department
Attn: Film Permit Unit
2000 Stevenson Blvd. PO Box 5007
Fremont, CA 94537-5007
2) Click HERE for the application. OR
3) Complete the online form (link on the menu to the left)
For more information, contact Amy Gee at the Fremont Police Department at (510) 790-6967.