Applications & Permits
Traffic Control Plans
These plans must be submitted to and reviewed by the City’s Transportation Engineering Division for any construction in the public rights of way. Traffic Control Plans must follow California MUTCD (Chapter 6) guidelines. A Traffic Control Plan Application must be completed and approved prior to any construction.
Turn around time is 10 business days for all applications.
If you have any questions regarding the Traffic Control Plan Application process, please contact:
- Engineering Division (if you need an encroachment permit also): 510-494-4700
- Transportation Engineering Division (if you do not require an encroachment permit): 510-494-4745
Instructions for the Online Submission of a Traffic Control Plan Application
- Please make sure you have the current version of Adobe Reader. (Please visit the Adobe website to download a free copy.) The application form is a PDF form that can be filled in using your computer; however, you cannot save the completed form unless you have the most current version of Acrobat Reader.
- Open the online submission form and bookmark it.
- Please fill in the Traffic Control Plan Application, save it on your computer with any additional documents as one PDF file.
- Return to the online submission form and follow the instructions to submit the document.
Other Options for Traffic Control Plan Application Submission
- Print out a hard copy of the application, fill it out by hand, and fax the completed form and other paperwork (8 1/2” x 11” is the largest paper our fax machines hold) to 510-494-4751 or 510-494-4721.
- Print out a hard copy of the application, fill it in by hand, scan the completed form and other paperwork as a PDF file, attach it to an email and send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail the completed application and other paperwork to Transportation Engineering, City of Fremont, P. O. Box 5006, Fremont, CA 94537.
- Drop off the completed application and other paperwork to the Development Services Center at 39550 Liberty St., Fremont, c/o Transportation Engineering. (Office hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday – Thursday; Friday office hours are 8:00 am – Noon)
Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, all Transportation Permits will be processed using the city’s new online transportation permit platform.
Transportation Permits are needed to ensure oversized loads are routed properly through the City. Proper routing avoids accidents due to low underpasses, weight issues and other clearance issues. Oversized loads can also require pilot cars to ensure the public is aware of their presence.
Transporters must also choose their route using City approved truck routes when possible. The truck route map is attached to the Transportation Permit to assist in preparing your route. Trucks must stay on approved truck routes as much as possible to the nearest point of entry to the destination, but you must make sure the route is appropriate based on the dimensions and weight of the load. The transporter is responsible for verifying all clearances prior to making the actual trip.
Transportation Permits are issued for extra sized legal loads. The dimensions for legal loads that don’t require a permit are 14’ high or less, 8’6" wide or less and 40’ long or less. Anything over these dimensions requires a Transportation Permit.
Please allow up to 48 hours for processing.
If you have questions regarding truck routes or transportation permits, please contact Transportation Engineering by email.