Do I need a permit for a storage shed, playhouse, etc.?

Residential accessory structures, including non-habitable storage sheds, workshops, gazebos, cabanas, and similar non-habitable structures, greater than 120 square feet require a permit.

A structure may be exempt from building permit requirements if the structure does not exceed a floor area of 120 square feet. Even though a permit may not be required, all structures must meet Municipal Code Planning and Zoning requirements for use, placement on the parcel, and design. Any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work associated with accessory structures also requires a permit (whether it is 120 square feet or not).

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a storage shed, playhouse, etc.?
2. What are the requirements for carbon monoxide detectors?
3. What are the hours that construction work is allowed to take place?
4. Is a permit required to build a fence? If so, what inspections are required?
5. How can I legalize an addition that was never permitted?
6. What type of work can be done without a permit?
7. Do I need a licensed engineer to sign plans and documents?
8. Why can't I remove a warning placard (red tag) from my property?
9. What plans, drawings, and specifications can an unlicensed person prepare?
10. Is it possible to order copies of commercial or residential plans from your office? What procedure is required? Is a fee involved?
11. Are there safety guidelines or requirements for barriers around swimming pools?